Coronavirus advisory information
As you are well aware, there is currently an outbreak of the new coronavirus. There are many cases in other parts of the world, but due to Australia’s strict border security and physical isolation, we are very well protected.
What is Coronavirus?
Corona is a large group of viruses which can infect both humans and animals with cold-related diseases. The intensity of the infection ranges from common colds to acute respiratory syndrome. However, the new strain of Coronavirus, called 2019-nCoV, is a novel virus to humans. So the information related to the disease, including symptoms and means of treatment is limited.
How does the virus transmit?
Corona is spread by:
- Other fluid transfer,
- Hand-to-hand contact with infected people.
It is not airborne. The AMA says that fluid transfer cannot occur past a 30cm distance during normal interaction. Obviously if you cough/sneeze at someone, this distance needs to be greater.
How can I protect myself?
The important thing is to remain alert but not alarmed. Be smart but do not stress. The best way to remain safe is to;
- Limit human contact.
- Limit hand/mouth interaction.
- Washing your hands after coughing/sneezing.
- Wash your hands before touching your face.
- Wash your hands before eating.
- Don’t chew your pen or any other habits that bring your hands and mouth into contact.
- Keep your house/desk/car/clothes/self/computer clean.
- Sleep well.
- Eat well.
- Wash food carefully.
Stay calm. Keep clean. Remain alert.